Monday, October 25, 2010

My first official post

For my first post, I'm focusing on being a working/adult student (shout out PubRel Class @ OCU.) 
I have been in school...well, for as long as I can remember. I think I tried taking over kindergarten on day 2 because knowing my 1-10 in Spanish just was not as important as station play in my opinion. (I still firmly hold to that belief to this day, sorry Ms. Germany.) 
I was fortunate enough to have my education paid for by joining the Air Force and getting the GI Bill. This fortune was not without sacrifices mind you. I've had to take night, weekend and online classes mostly to accommodate my family, but I've always managed to stay in school. Truthfully, it's the persistence that has set me apart from many of my peers. When it got too tough and it would have been easier to just throw in the towel, I did not. I kept pressing on. (go army.) Now 27 years old and two kids later, I am working on my second bachelor's degree and hold a Masters in Healthcare Administration. I would like to think I'm a super genius or prodigy, but sadly, that (along with my childhood dream of being the Queen of England) is not the case. It all comes down to simply sticking with a personal goal. Next goal: law school or PhD. 
I had the privilege of giving advice to a younger friend struggling with finding her 'path.' I told her the best place to start was a classroom. Worst case: you rule out a discipline you don't want to major in, but at least you have 3 hours to show for it. Most importantly, you have something that no one can take away from you, education. Learning keeps you young, keeps you thinking, keeps you moving. What a dreadful life to live when we stop being curious and lose our sense of wonderment. 


If you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a decade, plant trees; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people
~Chinese Proverb

3 comments:

  1. Wow it sounds like you have a full education plan ahead of you, I'm impressed. The lawyer aveune is going to be hard but what I've seen in this blog and your actions in class I belive you can do it. One thing I would like to reminded you because what I see is that your are a driven person which is wonderful and I comend you for that but, make sure you take time to stop and smell the roses. I think that's why it's taken me so long to get my degree done 11 years in the works as of this year is that I taken time off for me and my family, the most important things in life.
    You rock on Girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine,
    Your stick-to-itness says a lot about you as a person. The ability to be a wife, mother, military officer and student says that early on (seems as if it was kindergarten) you made a decision to embrace and control your life events, as opposed to just waiting to see what life would give you.
    Pursuing a second bachelor, with a masters already obtained says that you have a real thirst for knowledge; and truly believe that knowledge is power. Congratulations on becoming one of those people who make things happen; instead of just wishing for things to happen.
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  3. daddy needs shoes also. I have least 40 pair of shoe's right now. I'm looking to buy more, and I shop Like a women comes to stuff like that shopping is an addiction and I cant quit please I need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete